Cherry Tomato Pasta with Garlic Scapes, Feta and Meatballs
1 crate cherry tomatoes of different varieties (About 16 cups)
½ c. olive oil
2 – 3 branches basil (1/2 c. roughly chopped)
¼ c. FaC’s Seasoning or (1 tbsp. salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. onion salt. 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tbsp. dried oregano, 1 tsp. smoked paprika, 1 tsp, paprika all mixed together)
1 c. diced onion
1 ½ c. garlic scapes (more on garlic scapes here)
½ c. crisp white wine or Vermouth
2 500-grams pasta of your choice, I used Favuzzi
1 c. Feta, sliced
Meatballs of your choice, for one of my favorites, look here.
Preheat oven to 375° F.
1. Place 10 cups of the cherry tomatoes on a parchment covered sheet pan. Drizzle 1/3 cup of the olive oil over and 2 tbsp. of the seasoning mix, add 1/3 cup or 2 branches basil and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or till nicely roasted and golden.
2. To start your meal, salt your water and get it ready to cook your pasta while preparing the rest of the meal.
3. Heat a large sauté pan to medium, add onions and scape plus one tbsp. seasoning, cook till onions and garlic scapes are soft.
4. Add fresh cherry tomatoes and wine or Vermouth and cook till tomatoes have gone soft.
5. Add the roasted cherry tomatoes with all the cooking juices and simmer 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning with your seasoning mix or FaC’s seasoning, add the last of the chopped basil. Keep some to top the finished meal.
6. Meanwhile cook your pasta to al dente.
7. Place your cooked pasta in a large serving bowl and add ¾ of the cherry tomato sauce, add cheese around the bowl and the meatballs in the center, add the rest of the sauce over the meatballs and sprinkle with a few last bits of basil.
8. Serve, share and enjoy!
Here is a great link you should definitely look at about garlic scapes. Great stuff!